Thursday, February 25, 2010

Transition is hard!

I am sitting at home on my couch with the radio on watching the snow fall. We may get up to 18 inches today and tomorrow, depending on which report you believe. It seems quite odd to go from 90+ degree weather to snow. It is wonderful to be home, to spend time with Marc, to talk to family members and relax. But I am finding that transition is hard. People told me it would be, but it is hard to describe.

When I left Jacmel around 10 am, I hadn't had much time that morning to think about the fact that I was leaving. I went to see a few patients, had some art supplies to give some of the children that Lisa Parker, my sister-in-law sent, I said good bye to a few people and set off for the airport. As we took off, I looked out the window and said goodbye to Jacmel but it didn't really sink in that I was leaving. I looked through my pictures and took a little nap, and before I knew it, I was in Nassau. I did customs, got to the main terminal, got my boarding pass for my flight home, checked my bags and went to the main terminal. Then it hit me: I saw shops, food, drink, souvenirs, people obviously coming and going on vacation. They had no idea that less than three hours away were people who literally had nothing. A mattress on the floor in a tent with no water or sanitation was all they had, and that was good compared to some. It was all I could do not to be in tears the whole way home. I couldn't stop thinking about the patients I left behind, especially ones I had cared for and about intensely. I was mostly ok in the air because it was a little more isolated, but being in the crowds in the terminals was difficult.

I washed my hands in the restroom of one of the airports and felt warm water. It was the first warm water I had felt in almost three weeks. I could drink water out of the faucet. I can brush my teeth with water directly from the faucet. My bed is unbelievably comfortable. I dried my hair this morning, something I haven't done in three weeks. I need two sweaters to be warm. I don't need to use hand sanitizer. I slept pretty well the last two nights. My dreams were about things in Haiti. Nothing specific, but unpacking boxes, suturing wounds. I haven't ventured out of the house much. Now that it is snowing I will probably not go anywhere until tomorrow. I am enjoying a slow pace. I still have stacks of mail to go through, phone calls to make, people to see. It can wait.

I am still involved with things in Haiti. I got a call yesterday from someone I had met there who didn't realize that I was home. He was looking for a place to send a sick 2 month old. I was able to connect with people at the CME hospital where I was, and the baby got sent there and the baby was taken care of. I have talked to people here in Philly about our on-going efforts and how to best plan for the future and provide continuing service. I talked with the team leader of the team on their way today. I also have talked to other friends and colleagues who are about to go to Haiti with other groups.

I have so much to be thankful for. We have so much to be thankful for. The people of Haiti are friendly, warm, grateful and will be in my heart forever. I very much want to do whatever I can for as long as I can to help them.

Stay tuned to my blog. I have many more pictures to post, updates to add as I get them, thoughts about my time there that are still whirling around in my head. I know many of you followed my blog. I would love to hear from you directly. You can email me at edrum19@yahoo.com or go to my facebook page that I just set up (I am trying to keep up with technology). Thanks for all of your love, thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment