Tuesday, February 23, 2010

There were several aftershocks last night, and it was a bit disconcerting. I was surprised at the noise -like thunder. We went outside for a while just in case but after an hour or so came back in. Between the emergency case and the aftershocks, I didn't sleep that well.

Departures from Jacmel are on a catch-as-catch-can basis. There are no scheduled commercial flights. I had committed to staying until the current group got oriented. They will start to leave on Thursday and another group will arrive Friday.

Short stays work well for busy professionals but take their toll on continuity of practice and care. Staying for almost three weeks has given me a much different perspective on the entire effort.

Because so many people are leaving later in the week, I started asking about flight availability a few days ago. Relief flights still come in with people and supplies daily and usually leave empty so you can usually get a ride, just can't always predict when and to where. Because I got to know people at the airport, they alerted me to a flight to Nassau this morning. So right now I am in Nassau waiting a flight to Philly via Charlotte.

It was a very bittersweet morning. I am so happy to be coming home, but still concerned about many of the patients and the logistics of the relief operation. I will still get and answer questions and queries about things when I get home. I am overwhelmed with many many emotions right now.

Please stay tuned as I have many more pictures to post, hopefully updates on the activities of Team Ange, and a trip to Ethiopia on March 18th. Would I go back to Haiti? Absolutely, in a heartbeat, and have already talked to people about it. Thanks for all of your thoughts, prayers, good wishes and messages!

No comments:

Post a Comment