Friday, April 5, 2013

Ethiopia March 29-31, 2013


Ethiopia March 29-31, 2013
I was originally planning to leave for Ethiopia on April 5 with my friends from Healing the Children.  But the anesthesiologist from Cure asked me if I could come a week early to cover for her, and I was able to get the time off from work and change my flight.  So I left Philly on Good Friday evening and arrived in Ethiopia on March 30.  It was the first time I had traveled to Ethiopia by myself, but since I have been here seven times before, I had some idea what to expect.  I was able to contact some people who usually meet us, and everything was smooth when I arrived at the airport.  The Cure driver met me and took me to Cure hospital.  I have been here many times before, but this is the first time I am staying here.  They have a small guesthouse which is perfect for my week here.  I have my own room and bathroom.  There is a kitchen where I can cook if I like, or the kitchen will make my meals when they make others.  The cost is quite modest and it will work best for me to stay here this week.
Lufthansa gave us many Easter greetings on the flights, and we even got a chocolate Easter bunny with one of our meals!  On Easter Sunday, I went to the International Evangelical Church for the morning worship service.  I had been there on one previous visit.  There were lots of people there and it was an upbeat energetic service!
I had my meals made by Cure today:  scrambled eggs for breakfast, fish and vegetables for lunch, and pasta and vegetables for dinner.  It was warm and mostly sunny today; a few clouds, but no rain.  I enjoyed sitting outside reading and relaxing for awhile, fighting off the urge for a nap.
On Monday there are regular pediatric orthopedic surgical cases scheduled, so I be the anesthesiologist for those.  I will try to get a good night’s sleep tonight to be ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment