Friday, April 5, 2013

April 2


Tuesday April 2, 2013
Today was a busy day in the OR.  We had 9 orthopedic cases.  We actually had one more, but we ran out of time, so we will do it later in the week.  I had three adult patients; two with fractures (hip and ankle) and the rest were pediatric.  Some had serious deformities; others were dressing or cast changes.  We have four Master’s degree nurse anesthetist students this week.  We finished about 5:30.  I had dinner and then took a walk for about 45 minutes.  It gets dark by 7 pm.  I was tired then but fought off the urge to go to sleep that early.  The internet has been out all throughout Cure for over 24 hours.  It seems like the problem isn’t at Cure; couldn’t tell how widespread it is.
Being here this week by myself and staying at Cure has given me a whole new perspective on the hospital and the usual activities.  When our ENT team is here, there are twice as many people, and we bring our own commotion and hustle and bustle to the place.  ENT is not as familiar to them, so we are pushing at their comfort zone.  Although there isn’t exactly the same technology as at home, things run very smoothly and they have a routine which they are used to with orthopedics.  They do have other visiting teams during the year. So they can be quite adaptable.
Walking also lets me feel much closer to the community.  Although I only say hello to a few people, I don’t feel that out of place.  I have not seen any other ferengi walking or driving around.  A few people and kids have said hello or looked at me, but most just keep about their business.  Again, I wished I could have taken pictures:  donkeys laded with heavy bags, children playing in the street, women carrying heavy loads of wood on their backs.  I saw both traditional Ethiopian dress and western dress; taxis and buses, very few private cars.
I have been having traditional Ethiopian Injera Wot with vegetables for lunch. I brought a few things which I can have for breakfast.  Tonight they made me fish filets and vegetables for dinner.
Tomorrow looks like a lighter day.  If we are done early, I might venture out into the city after getting suggestions from the staff.
Sleep will be wonderful tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment