Monday, January 25, 2010

Why Haiti?

I have been in touch with several groups and lots of people about volunteering in Haiti after the massive earthquake on January 12th. Some people asked why I would want to go. I answer, if I can go and I don't, who will?

My house is overflowing with donations that I have received over the past week or more. Some were originally intended for my upcoming return visit to Ethiopia, but they will be redeployed.

The need seems immense, almost overwhelming, but with the goal of going to Haiti it is easier for me to focus and continue to sort things, write emails, call people, ask for supplies.

I know I will miss someone, but I want to start thanking the people who have donated items and helped me:
Abington Memorial Hospital
Red Lion SurgiCenter/ Doc Bressler's Cavity Busters
Cresheim Dental Associates
Chestnut Hill Dental Associates
Healing the Children, Greater Philadelphia

I am sure there are more.

Back to packing! More later

4 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, I think it’s wonderful that you are headed for Haiti! It’s dedicated physicians like you that can make a world of difference right now for those in desperate need. I mentioned to Marc that my daughter Lauren is doing a collection of clothing/supplies (including sheets/towels/blankets/toiletries/shoes) for Haiti. If, during your travels, you can suggest any way for us to get those items to Haiti, we would be most appreciative. Right now we have 25 boxes, and more donations every day. We are trying lots of avenues, and hoping to get these items to Haiti very soon. In the meantime, stay safe, and we’ll be checking your blog on a regular basis. Nancy Sauers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    You are doing a great thing!
    Stay safe over there.
    Your ELUM friend,
    Dale Collins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz
    You are a true role model. It is an amazing testimony to your commitment. Please keep us posted of your experiences. Be safe.
    Sincerely,
    Sheryl Heron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,

    You are amazing! I look forward to following your journey through your blog. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and stay safe.

    Warmest regards,
    Jennifer Woodward

    ReplyDelete